Do forums even have a future?

Started by RetroCheats, July 13, 2022, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroCheats

Back in the day, Forum sites were very popular.. but now a days, you have reddit and discord.
With each passing year, it makes you wonder, if anyone is even interested in signing up for a forum.

I personally signed up to a forum to request some game codes.. but I had no interest in posting.. I wonder if the average person feels the same(or at least the ages of 13-29).
Makes me wonder, if it would be better to invest time into building a large discord server or some other way of communication.

Most of the old members here are now in their late 30s to 50s... I just wonder, if these forums are ever completed.. what kind of group will want to post on a forum, or have the time to?
Something to think about, and feel free to have a discussion for.

PS. Zeo Last Active:June 21, 2022, 02:31:32 AM (Shame I'm the most active, as it make discussions really slow)

edit: asking teens a while on reddit.

PorcupineBoy
ยท
3 min. ago
Who uses Forum sites. There's a subreddit for everything so its not needed

Zeo

Forums are for niche communications, even BiTD, that;s why projects were important.

And yes I;ve been in active, mostly because I've been either in the hospital or living in doctors offfices (and before that I was practcaly living at work).

However, at this point, i think its safe assumption I will be on long term disablilty, so so once we get though this last set of "front line" tests(and my father goes home), i should have more time.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game. ~Zeo

The hob(sic Fable)runs strong in Retail customers.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

RetroCheats

What projects do you plan on funding? Or do you have close friends who will post project updates on these forums? Or projects you will dedicate a lot of time to yourself?

I got a discord that's growing over time, and I learned that Tutorials/Guides helped the most when it came to getting visitors and random people asking for help.

You been posting about the stock market, will you be doing stock market tutorials? If you got no time/money now, tis a good time to make a solid plan.. so you can get right on it when the time/money is right.

Zeo

Yes actually, I do intend to do some more in depth stock market stuff.

I'm also starting a web comic:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/a-god-with-out-power-is-still-a-god-upates-we/list?title_no=802808

I still plan on doing the races, but I cannot find out how to make videos only appear when they are live.  This is important so that only race participant streams show without having to manually set up each race.

Also now that I got Mocha to turn on and explain why they don't allow HTML access ftp accounts(idiots), i can offer hosting to others,like my DND group.

Lot's of things coming.  Discord has one fatal flaw in my opinion.  it's hard to, besides making a ton of channels to separate things, forums are still the one of,if not the, most EFFICIENT form of communications, even if they aren't the most convenient any more.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game. ~Zeo

The hob(sic Fable)runs strong in Retail customers.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu