On the topic of Gigaleak, Windows XP leak etc. (First and only warning)

Started by Zel, October 06, 2020, 12:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zel

The posting or linking of materials compiled from, consisting of, and requests for, these resources(or any other leak) is prohibited. 
You may as always discuss these issues and your thoughts on them in your developer conversations. 
While intelligent debate and discussion is encouraged, illegal data is not welcome here.

That being said, not trying to sound like a hard nose, but I want to get this out of the way.

Thank you all. If you have any questions or concerns about this policy you may PM me here or on Discord.
This post brought to you by Zel.

Zeo

IF there is an XP source code leak, if and when Microsoft declares it public domain,  We will allow code sharing from it.  AS per normal though XP is still under copyright by normal copy laws.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game. ~Zeo

The hob(sic Fable)runs strong in Retail customers.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Rowan

Add roms to that list. I looked into it at some point in time, and possession of roms is in fact illegal due to copyright infringement, regardless of whether or not you own the actual cartridge. It's not a very sought after offense, to my knowledge, but I'd suggest not allowing it, just in case someone goes on a witch hunt.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/a3D74ZV

Zel

Commercial rom images fall under illegal data.  Homebrewed  roms as long  as they do not use copyrighted  content are same as user generated applications..
This post brought to you by Zel.

Zeo

Quote from: Rowan on October 09, 2020, 05:35:07 PM
Add roms to that list. I looked into it at some point in time, and possession of roms is in fact illegal due to copyright infringement, regardless of whether or not you own the actual cartridge. It's not a very sought after offense, to my knowledge, but I'd suggest not allowing it, just in case someone goes on a witch hunt.

Wrong.  possession of roms is NOT across the board illegal (Jurisdictional rules apply, as ever).  Downloading them is a grey area if you own a copy, but uploading and distributing is always illegal.

As long as NO public distribution of roms is occurring we have no liability in the matter, hence falling under Zel's if it's illegal term.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game. ~Zeo

The hob(sic Fable)runs strong in Retail customers.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Rowan

Quote from: Zeo on October 10, 2020, 05:00:33 PM

Wrong.  possession of roms is NOT across the board illegal (Jurisdictional rules apply, as ever).  Downloading them is a grey area if you own a copy, but uploading and distributing is always illegal.

In my experience, if it's illegal anywhere, it's a good idea to not allow it on a website, in general. And to be clear, in response to Zel's comment, I was referencing commercial roms, not homebrew. I rarely ever have anything to do with homebrew roms, so it's an afterthought.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/a3D74ZV