Still active?

Started by RetroCheats, October 24, 2020, 05:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroCheats

This is still listed as a Project, so does that mean it will still continue in some way.
Maybe only Rowan has access to these, but got any images/links to share?

Zeo

Z2e has three branches going last I checked.  The reason I reactivated it is becuase I intend to, one way or another, get it active again.  I haven't had the time to relearn how to code, and no one else has done anything with it in a while.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game. ~Zeo

The hob(sic Fable)runs strong in Retail customers.

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Rowan

We've made arrangements for me to continue working on Z2E, but it is not a priority, right now. I'm more involved with GU still than I originally expected, but Zeo doesn't exactly have anyone else stepping up to help with what he needs done.

That being said, I was looking at what we have for overworld graphics a couple weeks ago, and I feel like we were being overambitious with the world graphics. I've been tinkering with learning more about pixel art for my personal game idea, and I feel like I can take the original graphics and make something more fitting than Wintermute's planned ones (which are great graphics, they just don't match the overall art style of the game). Being that there are only a handful of graphics to work on, it shouldn't take much time to get something to look at, once I get started.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/a3D74ZV

RetroCheats

if you have any screenshots still, maybe you can upload them?

Zeo

Quote from: Rowan on October 26, 2020, 09:07:12 AM
We've made arrangements for me to continue working on Z2E, but it is not a priority, right now. I'm more involved with GU still than I originally expected, but Zeo doesn't exactly have anyone else stepping up to help with what he needs done.

That being said, I was looking at what we have for overworld graphics a couple weeks ago, and I feel like we were being overambitious with the world graphics. I've been tinkering with learning more about pixel art for my personal game idea, and I feel like I can take the original graphics and make something more fitting than Wintermute's planned ones (which are great graphics, they just don't match the overall art style of the game). Being that there are only a handful of graphics to work on, it shouldn't take much time to get something to look at, once I get started.

i had a LOT of original style graphics that got scrapped because Winter Mute THREW A HOLY HISSY FIT about the Christian symbology in Zelda 2.  I Plan on redoing a lot of that, even as damn much as i HATE redoing things, some of that never really got finished anyway.

that being said if anyone has THAT BIG a problem with the symbology, I am Sure Rowan and I can find a way to de- interlace some of the Christianity out of it.  I am fine with that.  The only exception to that, is I will NOT budge on the Cross item, except to replace it with the lens of truth if demanded, which also has a cross on it  ironically..  That is part of the game, and it's that way for a reason.

Maybe what can be done is to make Patches that change the graphics around to suit different cultures.  Because I can DEFINITELY see non Judeo religions getting a bit  uncomfortable with the graphics sets that I originally had made for this.  however it would be up to other person to make the graphics to replace the ones that they find unwanted.  I will not have a repeat of the incident where i made a beautiful piece of Isalmic artwork to appease someone, and they got in trouble for commissioning  a "non Muslim to render holy artifacts in a heretical fashion."  I had to destroy all copies of that, and personal call, explain he did not pay me to make that,  and apologize to the guys church leader to save him getting flogged for that.  No thanks again on that.
All cats have an attitude problem, just most have figured out humans are better at the game. ~Zeo

Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good.
Lao Tzu

Zeo

Quote from: RetroCheats on October 26, 2020, 01:01:48 PM
if you have any screenshots still, maybe you can upload them?

https://www.deviantart.com/zeogu/art/Stained-glass-in-a-wall-7113324

Apparently hot linking off Deviant art is impossible now, but that's the window for the north place, mines the metal work up top and the stone wall.

Lao Tzu

Rowan

Quote from: Zeo on October 26, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
i had a LOT of original style graphics that got scrapped because Winter Mute THREW A HOLY HISSY FIT about the Christian symbology in Zelda 2.  I Plan on redoing a lot of that, even as damn much as i HATE redoing things, some of that never really got finished anyway.

that being said if anyone has THAT BIG a problem with the symbology, I am Sure Rowan and I can find a way to de- interlace some of the Christianity out of it.  I am fine with that.  The only exception to that, is I will NOT budge on the Cross item, except to replace it with the lens of truth if demanded, which also has a cross on it  ironically..  That is part of the game, and it's that way for a reason.

Maybe what can be done is to make Patches that change the graphics around to suit different cultures.  Because I can DEFINITELY see non Judeo religions getting a bit  uncomfortable with the graphics sets that I originally had made for this.  however it would be up to other person to make the graphics to replace the ones that they find unwanted.  I will not have a repeat of the incident where i made a beautiful piece of Isalmic artwork to appease someone, and they got in trouble for commissioning  a "non Muslim to render holy artifacts in a heretical fashion."  I had to destroy all copies of that, and personal call, explain he did not pay me to make that,  and apologize to the guys church leader to save him getting flogged for that.  No thanks again on that.

I'm gonna make a firm no on any symbology from any religions from reality being used. One, it doesn't really fir into the world Hyrule exists, in, unless you're planning on making this into a game (somehow) based on Earth, it just doesn't make sense. And I read the conversations on the board about the Cristian based symbology. Unless Wintermute said something else in private, there wasn't much in the way of a hissy fit, it was more like him trying to avoid throwing in something that didn't fit in. But meh, we'll discuss this later.

Also, I can't post anything on GU for the graphics, because I am fairly sure that a fairly good case could be made by Nintendo that our graphics fall under their copyrights, unless I understand copyright laws incorrectly. And honestly, you don't want them sniffing in your general direction, as can be clearly seen the by the recent shutdown of that OoT clone. I never saw any clear indication from what I read, but I presume it was the guy that remade the engine in Unreal.
Never say never or always. In most cases, there is an exception to anything you can think of that you might use either word in. "Most likely" and "highly improbable" in a lot of those cases would ring true, but not never/always.

Zeo

No, he threw a hissy fit and demanded to know in public why I was inserting these symbols into Hyrule, same general idea as  you are are now, but in MUCH MUCH  less polite terms, to the point someone ELSE was gonna ban him, except I said no, and explained it to him. Then he apologized and avoided a ban,.  Ill give you the same answer I gave him, because they were there to begin with, and the response I gave him, which he failed to do, if you keep the feel of he game correct and  consistent, I'm fine with removing these things, as I said above.  The Lens of Turth though if I make the graphics is being made with he Zelda 2 mystic cross on it, as it was originally intended.

As for posting graphics HERE,  as long as its not Nintendo IP, they won;t say anything.  Which is PART of the reason the Christian imagery works, because they can;t say shit about it and it fits the original game.

That being said, as i said I'm looking do it as a patch that's optional.  I see no reason to include it bundled with the program.

Lao Tzu

Rowan

Uh, last time I checked, anything with Link and/or Zelda in it is a Nintendo IP. Just because the graphics are a little different doesn't change that fact.

RetroCheats

There's two ways Nintendo won't go after you.

1. Don't ask for any money.
2. Don't go viral.

If this project is dead, create a new idea inspired by Zelda 2. There's games on the Switch that is inspired by Zelda, but it's different enough that it doesn't infringe in any way.

If it's dead, maybe all projects should just be removed from these forums... and I don't mean a public achieve either.

Zel

Time to chime in.   

1.  Do not make an official download containing any type of proprietary assets.
2.  Distribute you software with jut a basic demo and all other  original and fan projects are to be distributed by their authors as they see fit. This allows the distribution of religiously oriented materials to be separate from the project even if made by the project author.
3. Don't get on a high horse as a dev or as a end user.
This post brought to you by Zel.

Zeo

Quote from: Rowan on November 02, 2020, 08:04:45 PM
Uh, last time I checked, anything with Link and/or Zelda in it is a Nintendo IP. Just because the graphics are a little different doesn't change that fact.

hence why thetribal stain glass won;t work.  sprites can be a sperate file as well.  but if the bundled graphics are generic theme friendly rel;igiuos symbols...

Anyway I think we'd probably need to do that anyway, just have the program have graphics packs, and each user distribute thier own.

Lao Tzu